Gas Distribution Service Station @ 31st Just West Of Halsted

Gas Distribution Station, 31st Just West Of Halsted, Dismantled 1936

This one is for Steve Badauskas of Bernice’s Tavern on Halsted.  This is a gas storage tank on 31st St at the gas distribution site that was originally on the site of the CHA Bridgeport Homes. This station was dismantled in 1936. The Bridgeport Homes were begun in the early 1940s, to provide housing for the service men & women when they returned from WWII.  These large tanks were scattered around the neighborhood.  We found a photo of one at Loomis and Lock and on 32nd and Green, too.    Any details, please add them.

Bridgeport Book Authors Appearing On WGN-TV Tomorrow

WGN-TV logo

Logo of Chicago’s WGN-TV

The authors of Images of America:  Bridgeport  will be appearing on the Ch 9/WGN Midday News tomorrow.

Tune-in shortly after 11 am tomorrow to see Maureen, JoAnne and Dan discuss the writing of their book and the history of the oldest residential neighborhood in Chicago.  They will also share some facts that they uncovered while doing their research that may surprise you.

Watch this blog for a clip of their appearance when it’s available.